Sunday, August 05, 2007

Wrapping it All Up

I have been reading Dan Kimball's latest book They Like Jesus But Not the Church and it has been good to read this. Like A Generous Orthodoxy, it makes me feel at least that my concerns for the church are not unfounded and that my rants are not without cause. In my last post, I thought I had found the scariest picture in the one where Jesus is holding a gun. I was wrong.


This is the saddest picture I have ever seen. Take a look at the website it endorses here. I cannot believe these are Christians (Baptists, actually). I was most amazed by the game that keeps the fags away from children. Whenever I think the Church is making progress, by asking the tough questions and trying to find answers, I am disturbed to find another group who are basically killing in Jesus' name. I guess my translation of the Bible says something that theirs does not. I guess I am naive to think that one day His kingdom will come and His will will be done on earth as it is in heaven. But I have to hope.

Although I work in "organized religion," I want to do my best to avoid the pitfalls that Dan Kimball suggests most people who are into Jesus, but do not like the church think the church is about (political agendas, homophobia, judgmental and negative attitudes, suppressive of female viewpoints, arrogant about other faiths, and full of fundamentalists). My problem is that I work for a church and it takes most of my time during the week. So what can I do to be intentionally missional and be a part of my community? First, I am going to teach a class at the community college. Although this is something that will pay me some money, it will also allow me to be around non-Christians again and get their perspectives on things. I did this before I moved to Florida and it was wonderful. I made relationships with a group of young Buddhist men from Nepal who were funny and would tell me a lot about their faith (mainly because I asked). It was significant to see their faces light up when someone was interested in them and where they were from rather than just about "how do you like America?" But I did not try to proselytize these guys and some would think that I failed in my mission to reach people. Some of us plant and some of us reap. Hopefully there will come a day when these guys have another interested person bring them to a full knowledge of Jesus. I just tried to live like Him and I hope they saw that. I have found that when we stop long enough to acknowledge the people in our lives, they are more than willing to be helpful, kind, and tell you their story. People are dying to tell their stories, but we have to be prepared to listen to them. Enough preaching.

I took my family to Mexico Beach on Friday morning. It was a little rainy, but we chose a place that was just on the edge of a very dark sky. I still got a little sunburned, even though it was not really bright. The girls had a great time, especially my little Mad who is becoming a water baby. We bought her a toddler bed at the church's big garage sale. This will replace her baby bed soon. I am a little sad that she is probably the last baby we will have. I guess I will get over it.

Saturday I had to sing for the funeral of our church organist's sister. As I have said before, I could nearly make a profession out of singing for funerals. I guess I do a good job because half of the crowd at each funeral that I do stops me afterwards to tell me they want me to sing at their funeral. I guess I am flattered, but it is a little morbid.

Sunday is always a hectic day. I did not sleep much Saturday night so I was not at my best. Doing three services each Sunday morning (2 Traditional and 1 Contemporary) and holding rehearsals before and in between makes for a really tiring day. By noon I have already been at church 6 hours. Then I come back about 3:00 to prepare for the youth to come practice for their service at 5:00. So four services on Sundays for me. It is a long day. This week marks my last week before I get back to "normal" after a summer hiatus of sorts. Besides my four Sunday services and rehearsals, I will have my regular worship team rehearsal, plus my choir rehearsal, handbell choir practice, and my senior ladies choir practice. And in less than two weeks, I will start teaching my class at the community college (and I am hoping to take on some new voice students). One good thing about this last funeral was that I got to sing for some of the local high school choir directors, so maybe I will be able to use this as a contact to gain some more students, get a little money, and be able to hear what young people are thinking these days.


Since I started this blog with a tragic picture, I wanted to end with an uplifting one. My two littlest angels dancing in the wind. They are my strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow. Tomorrow is my 13th wedding anniversary. She is still my favorite person in the world, and, thankfully, a willing companion on this wild ride that neither of us expected, but are grateful for all the same.

Peace

1 comment:

eBerry said...

JESUS, JESUS, JESUS... Help us.