Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mixed Signals

Have you ever had one of those weird weeks where most things were really good, maybe too good? I have been concerned about some personal things lately, and oddly enough an answer presented itself yesterday that normally I would have been inordinately happy about. I definitely see it as an answer to prayer, more the prayers of desperation rather than the "Dear Father" kind, but answers nonetheless. And really, I am very happy to have this "resolution" to a struggle that has bothered me for many months now. I guess my leeriness comes from my love/hate relationship with change and what this resolution will do to my life. I am sure I will find out soon enough.

I have thought long and hard about the note of encouragement I received from the woman on the back row of the church this past Sunday. I believe it was a prophetic word to me that I am exactly where I need to be. Not that I was worried about that, because, frankly, I am not at all. And I know I am where I am supposed to be. It is just nice to know that God thinks so too and loves me enough to tell me through someone who has no reason to tell me something other than the truth. I am awed by the fact that God was concerned about my feelings of malaise and gave me a heavenly pick me up (or something holy and not that cheesy). And besides this note, I heard some things spoken in the church that make me feel much better about our direction and not at all alone in my concerns. Again, I believe God knew I needed to hear some of these things. Anyway, thanks.

I have heard nothing but good things about my choir party on Saturday. The choir gave me a nice card with a French theme. It was nice. It is good to be back to my fall schedule of rehearsals. I have a lot of them, but I would rather be busy doing than busy planning (which everyone I work with thinks I love, but in actuality I hate, I am just good at it). I am looking forward to next week because I will start teaching my class at the community college. I am too excited about this. I am a little nervous the closer I get to it, but it will all come back. I did it too long to forget how. I really like the folks that I will be working with at the college. They seem like a lot of fun.

We got a puppy for our little girls today. He is a wirehaired dachshund who is as yet unnamed. He is a funny little guy and seems to be getting used to us okay. The two big girls and I went to pick him up in Pensacola this morning. I did not work today because in the first 4 days of the week I had already worked a week's worth of hours (and this does not include my full day on Saturday preparing and hosting the choir reading session and dinner). This happens a lot. My work week is heavily weighted to Sunday through Wednesday. Anyway, it took us all of 2 hours to drive there (longer than I had thought). We almost ran out of gas. We were five minutes late and the woman we were supposed to meet to pick up the dog was not there at our rendezvous place. I called her and she had been in a wreck just up the street. So, we went and found her, pulled in in front of her and picked the god up. Mind you, the Florida highway patrol was behind her (and the truck that rear-ended her). I felt like I was making a drug deal (or what I think that would be like) except that the police were there. It was weird, and I had this scenario play through my mind of being shot by the police trying to pick up a puppy dog. We got him home and he is funny to play with and watch. The big girls love him. Little miss Mad does not quite know what to think of him. She will come around.

So, my question is: Is it okay to have a TV show (or movie, or music group, or book) that we love but are embarrassed to tell anyone we love it? I know it is random, but my probing thoughts for the week are either too personal this time or were answered by the Lord through people unaware of their role in God's providential care of me and my mental health.

God grant me the serenity to get over myself.

PS: I now have 89 friends on Facebook. I am still addicted, but hopefully this too shall pass. Also, if you have a good puppy name, pass it along to me. I cannot come up with a proper name for this little angel. I want something literary or artistic, but not ridiculous. And not Max.

2 comments:

eBerry said...

I'm not good at names, but let's see:

1. Theo (short for Theophilus)
2. Oden (For Thomas Oden)
3. Jerome (for Jerome)
4. Milton (for Milton)
5. Blaise (for Pascal)
6. Euclid (why not?)
7. Epworth (good Methodist figure)
8. Wesley (Can it be more obvious?)
9. Spot
10. Rover


Good luck and Congrats on the new dog.
E

Su-Leah Suarez said...

Here's my suggestions:
Josiah
Shorty
D.O.G.
Steve (yes I once knew a dog named this)
Oscar ( for the weiner)
Jibaro (pronounced hibaro, meaning hillbilly)
Singer(for the owner, not the machine)
Brother

Good luck with choosing a name