Friday, July 27, 2007

A Year in Cyberspace


Well, this week marks my one year anniversary in cyberspace. I think I have learned a lot about myself in these 18 months of change and relocation. This blog has been an important part of dealing with these changes. It has definitely been cathartic, if nothing else.

We had a quiet day today. I got up as usual and ran on my treadmill, though not quite as much as I have been running most mornings (only 35 minutes today). I am getting used to taking my herbal meds. My wife and I took our girls out for lunch and then we went and looked for Parisian posters and the like at Hobby Lobby. I am planning a Parisian party for my 2nd Annual Fall Choir Music Reading Session that is coming up in a couple of weeks. I have already gotten some big visuals of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. It is going to look like a prom. I think my people will enjoy it. I continually have to come up with new things now (which is really good) because I have already used a lot of my B. F. ideas (Before Florida).

Speaking of before Florida, we went to a bookstore today and for maybe the first time since I have been here, I had a wildly familiar, homey feeling. It was like for once, I could not remember what it was like to live somewhere else. Huh. That this feeling seemed oddly appropriate was what caught me by surprise. Thank God for those "he hath made me to forget" moments. I told my wife before we moved that home was wherever she and my daughters were, and now it is true.

We may try to take a short little vacation this next week since it is the last week before my wife goes back to work teaching. I remember how much I enjoyed this time as a student and as a professor, the anticipation of new learning. It has been weird for me to be out of the loop of teaching, but soon enough I will be back in the classroom, if only on a part-time basis. I am sure it will be fun, even if I never really read the textbook.

The picture is one of my little Mad who is 20 months old today. She was only 3 months old when we moved, so she is as close as we will likely get to a native Floridian.

So my question is: What have you learned about yourself over the last year? I hope it has been a year of adventure and awakening. Mine sure has.

Peace

2 comments:

Tim said...

I have learned that there is life beyond youth ministry.

eBerry said...

I have learned a lot about myself over the past year. I think the most useful is the lesson that I have limitations and I would do well to respect them.

You've also got me interested in blogging again. Thanks... I think.