Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The End, 2012 Style

Have you heard the latest rumblings throughout the New Age world? Well, the latest to come into mainstream society's radar at least. It seems that back in the heyday of Mayan culture in Mexico, their leading prophets predicted the ending of an age or an apocalypse or whatever you want to call it that would culminate in December of 2012. So for the last 30 years a dedicated few have been spreading the news that the end was near and now they say it is barely 4 years away.

I always like a good end of the world story. It was fun growing up in an apocalyptic world where every event in the Middle East or every rumbling of war was another signal that the end was near. Now, I believe that Jesus will bodily return to the earth and reign over us all, its the rest of the Left Behind stuff that I am not so sure about. I just think that everyone likes a good apocalypse or the idea that all the bad folks in the world are gonna get theirs in the end. I think it is significant that the Mayans, centuries before they ever encountered a European person, had apocalyptic tendencies. I guess this means that this type of end times scenario strikes a chord in the hearts of people the world over and throughout all times.

I wish that we could lead people to a knowledge of Christ's ability to radically change their lives, rather than having to hold the end of the world and hell over their heads. Now, I believe in hell (no thank you, Bishop Pearson), but I think that living for Christ ought to make our lives better and that should be a good enough reason for us to follow Him. I think the church for too long has held hell over peoples' heads, and thereby miss the mercy that Christ wants the church to show to the world. It is hard to be salt and light, when we are policing the world. I think the problem is that most people really do not want to commit to Christ. They want to come to church and feel bad about themselves and get right with God again, so they can go out and do the same thing again next week. It is an endless hamster's wheel. If it were not for hell, I am sure there would be fewer folks going to heaven. But that's really sad--to serve Christ only to miss hell. I think that misses the point of doing justice and loving kindness and walking humbly with God.

I also think it misses the point that we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. I mean, how much easier is it if your church gives you a list of things you can and cannot do. Only wear this type of clothing, only cut your hair if you are male, don't go anywhere the world might be lurking. I think that is one of the reasons why the more fundamentalist and Pentecostal denominations continue to grow--because they give clear cut answers. One of the things I like most about being a Methodist is that there is more of a free exchange of ideas and more tolerance for ideas other than one's own. This is good and bad. Good in that we can discuss issues without branding the other a heretic. Bad in that sometimes the only common ground we find is in agreeing to disagree. And sometimes it simply means that rather than coming up with a statement of faith, we tend to leave that for another day.

Well, I hope the countdown to 2012 is a fruitful one for you. Martin Luther said that if he knew the world would end tomorrow he would plant a tree. Maybe I will do the same. And hopefully, it will bear much fruit.

Peace

4 comments:

Tim said...

Oooh, nice tie in there at the end.

eBerry said...

You write... "I wish that we could lead people to a knowledge of Christ's ability to radically change their lives, rather than having to hold the end of the world and hell over their heads."

I agree! But, I have to remember that WE are not all holding the end of the world over people's heads. Some of US are trying to lead people to a loving Christ who exists in relationship with the Father and the Spirit and who is known by us through a loving relationship too.

I wonder if the fire and brimstone folks are saying, "I wish we could focus more on the end times than these cream puff Christians who want to talk about love!"

Dr. Keaton said...

Eric, you are probably right on all counts. And I know WE are not holding the end of the world over anyone's head. However, many Christians spend all of their time and energy dealing with the Devil and the AntiChrist and End Times scenarios that the Scriptures clearly tell us we cannot know. My fear is that Jesus may get lost in the mix. My hope is that we can focus on Him and then we don't really have to worry about the rest. I guess I just wish we could evangelize from the standpoint of the difference Christ makes in our lives NOW, rather than a fire insurance policy for later.

eBerry said...

Brandon,

I agree 100%. I suppose I am a little sheltered from the brunt of the doomsday Christians because my background does not converge with too many of the End Times Scenario folks. I, like you, wish more of "us" would talk about the life in Christ NOW. Then we would simply be, as the Xn rock group "Pillar" says, "fireproof" and not in need of mere insurance.

Pax et Bonum,

E