Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Week With a Holiday is Like . . .

Well, it has been over a week since my last confession and much has happened in my little world. One of the main reasons I have not confessed lately is that I have been without internet access at home for the last several days. So, today, I bit the bullet and bought a new computer to replace the antichrist that I was using. So, I am back in the blogosphere and just a little poorer for the journey.

Last weekend we drove over to Okaloosa Island to attend the Greek Festival put on by Saints Markella and Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Mary Esther, Florida. It was fun and is a reminder of the bigger one we used to go to in Dallas. I absolutely love those Greeks and it is an opportunity to have some good food and let the girls dance to some wacky music. I have this love for the Orthodox Church and wonder if I still might not end up there someday. Who knows?

I have been absolutely crazy this last week or so. I got this message early last week that one of the other voice teachers at the community college was going to be out all semester due to a triple bypass surgery. It was an emergency procedure and so there was no way to plan for it. I have taken on some of his voice students in order to help out in a crisis, but I am afraid it will drive me bonkers. It will be nice to have the money, but I will not be able to do this next semester. I am planning to take a course or two to get started on my coursework for my ordination and I can't do this with so many extracurriculars.

We have spent much of the last two weekends waiting to see if we would have a hurricane. Fay completely passed us by and Gustav went way to the west. So, we spent all this time indoors and did not get to make use of the holiday at all. It is always aggravating to me to lose a Monday since that is the day I get the most accomplished. And having to condense the week into fewer days is not really a vacation to me.

I had a meeting with the District Committee on Ordained Ministry today. So, as of today, I am a certified candidate. I have been amazed at how well this process has been going. But, if I ever wondered whether or not God has a sense of humor or whether He was interested in my life, I know it again today. One of the ministers who interviewed me today was a graduate of Southwestern, my old home. I was flabbergasted. He knew several people that I knew. It is always odd to find another used-to-be Pentecostal in the United Methodist ranks.

I also got a call from an old friend today. Everything was as it should be. I am thankful for those friends I have that I don't have to speak to everyday in order for the relationship to remain fresh. I think he just wanted to know that I was still me. I hope I did not disappoint.

More to come . . .

3 comments:

Paul's Music Notes said...

....used to be Pentecostal? My friend I do believe there a lot of Pentecostal Methodist out there. ;-) I hope you just meant "used to be" in regards to your A/G affiliation.

Questioning content,

Paul

Dr. Keaton said...

Paul, welcome to my little corner of cyber space. As my "About Me" section mentions, I consider myself post-charismatic NOT post-Spirit. I still believe in the present-day manifestation of the Holy Spirit, I have just given up on my affiliation as such. And, you are correct, there are a lot of Pentecostal Methodists out there. As I mentioned in my post I met one just the other day. Thank you for your comment.

Paul's Music Notes said...

In regards to hurricanes you guys had a bullseye plastered on your section of the world for awhile. Hopefully Uncle Ike will go for a Mexican vacation and leave you and Texas alone.

Note: I've signed on to blog my brains out. Hopefully it won't be too painful.