Friday, September 19, 2008

Not the Oldest Dad, Thank You



So, after a not so interesting day Thursday, I had to go to Emma's open house at school to meet her teacher. I barely got there in time. Our babysitter was running a little late and so I got there after the teacher had started into her spiel about schoolwork and all those fun third grade things. Emma's teacher likes her and told me basically that she has my over-achieving disease. I told the teacher that I was bad about putting too much pressure on myself, especially as a child. She said she was the same way. Anyway, it was a moment.


But I noticed as I was looking around at all the other students' parents that I was actually one of the younger ones there. This is a bit off-putting to me, because I always feel like I am old to have little children. But the school where Misty teaches and Emma and Elizabeth attend is one for overachievers, and most overachieving folks wait till they are older to have children. This is a ridiculous post.


This morning I had a funeral at the church. A funeral on Friday is horrible because I teach all day at the community college on Fridays since that is my day off at the church. So, I had to do a little rearranging of my schedule to be able to sing at the funeral in the first place. I rescheduled one student to come to the church on Thursday, and she never showed. Twenty minutes after she was supposed to be there, she called and said she was lost. I gave her directions and she still never showed. I hope she is not still driving around downtown Panama City after 27 hours.


Well, the family wanted a concert for this funeral. I think as I get better known in town, people want to hear more of me at these events. Lately, I have been averaging three or four songs per wedding/funeral and it is wearing me out a little. Not just that four songs may be too many for a funeral, but they were really high songs. Everybody asks me to sing Josh Groban songs, and I am sorry, but they are difficult. I guess I should be flattered that people think I sound like a 20 year-old. So, I had to sing that horribly sad "To Where You Are" and "The Lord's Prayer" and usually I feel good if I just have to sing one high song. Oh well, it went fine, but I had to immediately leave when the funeral was over and rush to the college to teach the rest of the day. No lunch, nothing to drink. Just pain and anguish for several hours. I think I need to plan better.

I hope to go to Target tonight. It is sad, but that is my favorite place to go. I have not been in weeks, and I feel deprived. And, yes, we look ridiculous in that picture.

1 comment:

CaliJames said...

This is my new favorite photo of you.