Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Knew the Day Would Come

OK. So, I had this dream where I get to class and the students pull out their textbooks and none of them have my textbook. Or it is in Russian and I can't read Russian. Or something down this road.

Well, it happened yesterday. I got to class early and noticed students pulling out a book that I have never seen before. When the previous class ended, I went in and asked the teacher if the book for my course had changed. She told me it had, and, with a disgusted expression, she commented: "No one bothered to tell you, did they?" I told her no one had. It is kind of funny because I had just taught the course in the Summer session that ended only a couple of weeks ago and we used the textbook I had used all year long. I will get over it, but I had to hustle to find enough information to get me through until the book company sends me a copy of the book and all the listening materials to go with it. I ended up buying an online subscription to the text so I can at least be prepared for Wednesday's class meeting. It is not the worst thing ever. I have used an older edition of the book when I was teaching in Texas, so at the very least I am somewhat familiar with the format. Oh well, it made for an interesting first day of class.

I completed the book Post-Charismatic? and I think I may have to write Rob McAlpine and tell him that he wrote this book especially for me. I am more determined now than ever to embrace my heritage and continue to seek the Holy Spirit in a way that I was afraid to attempt just a few months ago. I am thankful that as I begin to feel a change in how I feel about my past, and how it pertains to my present (one might call this a mellowing out period), God brings something into my life that seals the deal so to speak. I am grateful. McAlpine talks a lot about Detoxing from Church, this need to step away and allow God to work through some of the believer's hurts and inner turmoils that come from the Church herself. Some, like me, have decided to detox in a non-charismatic church. Though I now have no desire to abandon my heritage, it is highly unlikely that I will return to the Pentecostal fold any time ever. My feeling is, and has been for some time, the charismatic folks ought to be a seasoning to the church in general rather than congregating all together.

So, here's to salt and light. Gloria a Dios!

4 comments:

CaliJames said...

"My feeling is, and has been for some time, the charismatic folks ought to be a seasoning to the church in general rather than congregating all together."

And "the church in general" would be... what? I'm not looking for a sectarian distinction with this question. Am I to assume that "charasmatic folks" are those who experience and practice the charismos of God's Spirit and that they are purposefully and by design unique from the church as a whole? "Not every member of the circus is a clown," kind of thing? Please explain.

Dr. Keaton said...

I think for me, and this is not for everyone of course, but I think it is important for there to be people of a charismatic bent within the mainlines churches. I guess this is what I meant by the church in general.

I firmly believe that not every person who has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit should only be involved in a charismatic or Pentecostal fellowship. As for not every member of the circus being a clown, I think that is absolutely true. You know, with the tight-rope walkers and such. We each play a certain role and I think those who have experience a second blessing can add a different dynamic to a church body without forcing that church down a road they are not ready to go down. I also know one of the major reasons Pentecostal denominations cropped up was that the mainlines did not approve of their practices so they moved on.

It is also possible, that in my quest to understand where God has placed me, I may be generalizing and I really don't want to do that.
It is also possible that I don't know the answer or fully understand my own question yet.

Tim said...

I’ve been discussing this a lot with people lately. Most recently with my wife last night.

First, it needs to be said that the only mainstream persuasion still growing across the world is the charismatic church (whether it be Pentecostal or Assemblies of God). I found that hard to believe and still find it hard to admit. In fact, The Church of England has been experiencing a revival over the past ten years, and it has been largely rooted in the Charismatic tradition. !!! The CHURCH OF ENGLAND!!! For those of us who claim to have any open mindedness at all, we have to step back and ask ourselves and God what in the world that means.

You know where I stand on this Brandon. I grew up in a Baptist church but an Assemblies of God school, and never felt that either tradition had it right. I felt that the Baptist church had abandoned nearly every spiritual gift (except evangelism, pastoral ministries, and teaching ministries) and had all but abandoned the Holy Spirit all together! The AG church, on the other hand, fixated itself on the gift said (by Paul) to be the least of all the gifts. They further pressured people to “develop” (I might use the word “manufacture”) this gift and gave people a general sense that, if they did not have the gift, they did not have the Holy Spirit living within them. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this began a trend of “manufacturing” all manner of spiritual gifts, some of which were never even mentioned in the Bible. It’s a harsh criticism, I know, but I use Biblical guidelines for identifying spiritual gifts, as well as my own spiritual gift of discernment to make that challenge. I may be wrong.

The problem is that, again in my opinion, there are very few churches out there who have found a good balance. I know of very few churches where all of the gifts are encouraged, but none are valued more than others. Jamie and I have been interviewing with churches lately and last night found ourselves asking which would be better; to land in a church where spiritual gifts need to be encouraged, or to land in a church where “spiritual gifts” need to be reeled back in? Which is harder to say; “Discover your Spiritual Gifts and put them into practice.” Or, “Hey, you’re faking that. That isn’t your Spiritual Gift. You’re making a mockery of the Holy Spirit.”

I came to the conclusion that the first church would be much easier to lead than the second.

I don’t know how much of what I’ve just said has to do with your post. But I specifically logged on this morning to get your thoughts on these thoughts. You’ve been firmly planted in both places over the course of your lifetime. You’ve had the opportunity to step back and take a good long look at your charismatic roots. You’re now trying to find balance yourself. So what is your take on my take???

Dr. Keaton said...

Tim, your question is precisely where I find myself now. I came to the determination a few years ago to give it a go in a mainline church in order to see if it was easier to work with a congregation that was non-charismatic or one that was more Pentecostal. I am finding that both types of congregations have their own positives and negatives. On the one hand, many Pentecostals are more likely to bow to authority or by a "thus saith the Lord" but Methodists really want a concensus of opinion. There are times when I wish they would just do what I ask.

I agree that few churches have a good balance. But, one thing about your issue with "speaking in tongues" that I wanted you to know is that in many Pentecostal churches, and lots of charismatic churches in the US, the emphasis on this gift above all others is waning. In fact, many old timers are worried that the churches are not Pentecostal enough, meaning there are not enough messages in tongues in their meetings.

I am not a cessationist clearly. And really it is highly unlikely that someone who has never read the Bible, but decided to pick it up would come to the conclusion that the gifts of the Spirit had ceased. And it is true that Pentecostals continue to grow by leaps and bounds, and some of this is due to the fact that Pentecostalism gives a voice to those who do not have one. Think about where it started and where it thrives now, in very low income, third world countries where people have little power over their lives/situations.

The hardest thing for me is coming to terms with my past in a post-charismatic context. The proverbial throwing the baby out with the bath water, keeping what is good and leaving what is unnecessary.

And again, I regret that we at Grace tended toward the dogmatic. I wish we could have been adults when we went through school. We have become so much easier to deal with, and a whole lot more mellow.