Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Personal Discovery Should Remain Personal


So, after the great success that was my patriotic musical celebration, I have had three things to look forward to this week: The beginning of my new class at the community college; My trip to Prattville, Alabama to visit with my counselor about my "psychoses;" and My family's return to Florida with Grandma and Aunt Jen and boys in tow.


Monday night I met with my new class for the first time. I have 33 students in a class that meets for 3.5 hours two nights a week. It is forever long, but I keep their attention with my winning wit and vigor. It is a good class with enough students who know something about music to make it interesting for me and enough of the rest seem interested enough to make the time go by quickly. I do not realize how much I miss teaching until I start doing it again, it comes back like I never stopped, and I become a tiny bit nostalgic. Not enough to go back to teaching full time yet (or maybe ever), but just enough to know that I need to keep doing what I am doing. Tonight there were a few girls who kept talking on and off through the third hour of the class and some students on the other side of the class kept giving them dirty looks. I thought it was funny. I guess I already have fans.


Tuesday afternoon I left for Prattville, about 3.5 hours from my house in Lynn Haven. I had a quiet evening so I would be in a decent mood the next day. I was uncharacteristically calm about this go-round with the conference counselor. This time we went over the results of my psychological evaluations that I took almost two months ago. It was amazing to hear myself described in such clinical terms, but there were no startling revelations about my inner workings. It was bizarre to hear him discuss my inner turmoil and anxiety and the fact that I was dealing with a "sad" episode at the time I took the test. Oddly enough, he was also able to determine that this was an episodic occurrence rather than an everyday event. The only thing that has bothered me about these little trips is the expense, mainly because of gas prices, but also because they have been morning sessions that have made it necessary for me to go up the night before. The getaways have been nice and quiet, but the price eats away at my pocketbook a little more than I would like to admit. Once I receive my copy of the official report, I may speak more specifically about the findings, but for now it is safe to say that things went as smooth as possible. And, I can say without reservation that I am glad this part of the ordination process is over.


Tomorrow the fam returns. I am looking forward to a full house this next week. We plan to do something fun for the 4th of July and spend the week together catching up. It will be the first time I have seen my sister or my mom since Christmas. That is the one thing I absolutely hate--living so far away from my family that I cannot see them very often. I understand it is a part of this getting to know me process that I have been on these last few years and I truly believe I have needed to do this in order to better serve my purpose for the Kingdom, but that does not make it any easier. Well, at least I will get to see them for a little while.


Peace

No comments: