Friday, July 18, 2008

Boring Was Fine


So, I made the cardinal mistake this week of telling my mother in an email that everything was fine, kind of boring really. Well, that was Tuesday. Later that afternoon, I decided to make a trip to Borders because the local Books-A-Million did not have what I was looking for. Now Borders is about 40 minutes from our house across the Hathaway Bridge that connects Panama City with Panama City Beach. Now, understand, this is not usually a story at all, but the bridge is the only way to get from point A to point B. What I did not realize was I was almost out of gas. So, I get out to Borders and it was a waste of time. So I head back towards home get to the bridge, see a lot of traffic, and find that I have almost no gas and there is no turning back. Our traffic here is a joke compared with most places, but our big bridge can cause some major frustrations. Short story, I coasted into the closest gas station and made it home. I remember praying that God would help me get to the gas station. I blamed it on the Devil, of course. It is amazing how quickly I can revert to feeling persecuted for my own lack of judgment.


Nothing else seemed to jinx my "boring" week until last night. We went over to some friends' home for a little get together. They are moving to Rhode Island to take a new assignment in the US Air Force and their oldest daughter was in Elizabeth's preschool class this past year. They wanted their little ones to see our little ones one last time and we wanted to bid them a fond farewell, since they were really active in church (she played in my handbell choir as a substitute and was on the preschool board of advisers with Misty). Well, all seemed well until our friends informed me that the young man who lived across the street had backed into my car. So, I went out to look at it and, indeed, it was damaged. It was not that bad, still drivable, but bad enough that the entire bumper will have to be replaced. He must have barrelled out of his driveway to hit me hard enough to break his tail light and dent my bumper so well (I mean, he had a little Suzuki). We called the police and they wrote up a report. I was very calm the whole time. (My psychological evaluation said I was not quick to get angry, although it did say that it is hard for me to deal with angry folks.) They were very calm. I felt bad for the young man. He had just turned 20 last week, had never been in an accident, and was on his way to church. Anyway, after about 30 minutes dealing with the police and all that fun stuff, I was pretty much partied out. So, we said our goodbyes. The parents of the young man who wrecked my RAV-4 had already called in the accident to their insurance, so this morning when I called to report it, they already knew about it. I guess that is a good thing. They will be taking care of everything and I will get a rental car to drive around until my car is repaired. Now I just have to wait until I can take my car in to be fixed. I am just glad to not have to pay for anything. Summer is always our least funded season, since I do not teach as much this time of year (and I won't get paid for the class I am teaching now until the middle of August).


As for things on the home front: Misty is doing much better. She had a checkup yesterday and all seems to be working well. The nurse practitioner told her she was the model patient.


Hopefully, I will not have anything newsworthy to report for a while. I have a date with 3 gorgeous underage women tonight while their mom has a girls night out. When do I get a girls night off?

No comments: