Sunday, July 13, 2008

Catching Up With Family


So, I plan to talk about my psychological evaluation at some point in the near future, but we will save it for a rainy day.

The last week has been interesting. We played host to my mother, my sister and her two little boys this past week. We had a good time catching up, but with 5 children in our home, four of which were five and under, to say that the place was a-rockin' would be an understatement. I am really glad I had several days to myself, though you can never really prepare.

Over the week we went to the marina for the 4th of July, the beach a couple of times, to Destin to shop, etc. Of course, I had to pretend to work this past week and teach my night class at the community college, and get the big girls to their summer school (painting class and Kindergarten preparedness, not dummy training) so it was fun balancing these different parts of my life crashing together.


One thing we had not anticipated was that Misty had surgery on Friday to remove her gall bladder (see above). She had been having trouble and that was why we shortened our family vacation to central Florida a few weeks ago. But she went to Texas in the interim and we were planning for her to go to the surgeon on Thursday to set up a laparoscopic procedure in a week or so. Well, Monday she started feeling bad again and so she was able to move up her consultation to Tuesday. She went in for pre-operation blood work Wednesday and had the surgery Friday morning. The hospital actually called us two hours earlier than we had planned, so we rushed around and got ready and went to the hospital with my mom in tow for moral support. Aunt Jen stayed home with all five children. I think she had been drinking, because when we got back from the hospital about 1:30 that afternoon, she was a little glazed over. Just kidding.

Well, the middle of the story is Misty is doing as well as can be expected. She feels a little bruised, but is in good spirits. She was well enough to keep the children by herself while I did a funeral Saturday afternoon (Mimi and the rest left by 5 a. m. Saturday) and while I went to church Sunday morning. We have had a couple of families bring us food which is nice. I hate to cook, so we would have been eating out.

The last funeral I did was interesting and very short. I took it that the family was not in love with their father, or at least pretended that things were better than they had been. I am determined that by the time I die, my children will not be questioning my love for them or the example I set for them. Something about going to so many funerals makes me put my life in better perspective. Speaking of funerals, I have another one on Monday for the husband of one of my musicians. It is really sad because he was not old, just in need of a liver transplant. He was on the list a few weeks and just got too sick.


Nothing else really to report, at least nothing life changing. . . .except . . .

No comments: