Monday, July 21, 2008

News Roll, Monday July 21, 2008

You know, it is interesting how things turn out. I have had this whole struggle over the last few years with my spiritual identity, dealing with the perceived fall out over my decision to entire a new phase in my spiritual journey. Most people have been pleased with my decision or have given it absolutely no thought whatsoever. I guess it was a bigger deal to me than it was to anybody else. I guess it would have to be. My "therapist" brought out an interesting thought that I view a lot of things as failures that most people would view as just part of being human. He also said that I should be careful of perceived demons as opposed to real issues. I am working on this one. It was good to hear this from a professional counselor though.

So, I decided that I would read my Orthodox Study Bible the rest of this year. Well, I can tell you that they like their liturgy because the study notes on Leviticus are the longest I have ever seen in a study Bible. I mean, this was a book that I would gloss over each time I read through the Bible. I mean, I did actually read it each time, but I was not that interested in leprosy or menstrual cycles. Funny how they find Christ in all of the tedium. I think I could learn something from the Orthodox. To be able to find Jesus in the midst of seemingly unending rules. It was interesting that one study note said something like: "There are people who think liturgy is dead, but how can the work of the people be dead? It is only people who allow themselves to grow cold to the work within their own lives."

Sunday was good. I hardly slept Saturday night because Madeline came in about midnight and decided to sleep all over the bed as only an almost 3-year old can. But, I thought it was one of our better Sundays lately, especially the middle service. I hope the congregation is understanding this, but the Holy Spirit has been showing up to these services lately in a way that he may not have been until recently. I hope they sense the change. Maybe it is just that I am more aware of it, or that I am not as worried about what people might think anymore.

The latest news on my sad SUV ~ I took it today to have it repaired and a young woman from the Enterprise car rental place came to pick me up at the body shop. She was nice. I found out she was a member of another United Methodist congregation in the area, but that she had grown up at my church. Funny. I also found out that her mother drives her crazy and she is thinking about moving back to Maryland where she spent a few years after college. Everyone tells me everything. I am just glad that the car was not terribly damaged and I will have it back in a couple of days. The only bad thing is they put me in a compact car that reminds me of the one that hit me. No nightmares, just not used to sitting so low to the ground in a tin can.

More thoughts to come. I am waiting on a prospective student who will be singing on a cruise ship for ten months and needs a vocal coach for a few weeks before she ships out. I just keep thinking about the Love Boat. . .

2 comments:

CaliJames said...

"There are people who think liturgy is dead, but how can the work of the people be dead? It is only people who allow themselves to grow cold to the work within their own lives."

Love this! Beautifully executed thought.

Hey, thanks for the link on your blog, by the way. Don't know how long it has been there. Just noticed it. Very cool. Did you read my friend Fran's "Spaghetti" post?

Dr. Keaton said...

Yes, I read the spaghetti post and yours about lobster, both of which have given me a lot to think about. These ideas are very often on my mind right now, especially as I dive further into this new life of ministry.