Monday, May 12, 2008

Would Jesus Vote for Obama?

"I just keep thinking, if Jesus were alive now, he wouldn't necessarily be voting Republican."

This quote comes from a recent article in the Seattle Times called "Young, Evangelical . . . for Obama?" You know the drill. Many young evangelicals are becoming disillusioned by the Republican party and are becoming more independent than their forebears on the religious right. The article relates that most are not really jumping on the Democratic Party bandwagon, rather they are trying to find a middle way.

"I think a lot of Christians are having trouble getting behind everything the Republicans stand for," said Dudley, 20, a sophomore at Seattle Pacific University.

I can't imagine hearing this from an evangelical college student just four years ago. It makes me wonder how this election season has played out back in my very conservative, Republican former stomping grounds. I remember one of the older professors requesting prayer for Al Gore to win the 2000 election and most of the people who heard him thought he was off his rocker. Maybe he knew something none of us did?

I am always interested to know how the media deals with this type of information. How do you think the Seattle Times covered this story? Does it reflect your own evangelical neighborhood?

No comments: