Sunday, April 06, 2008

Nothing New Under the Sun

Well, the last several days have been a bit boring. Thursday morning, I had to sing for a "big" funeral of a local educator. My oldest daughter went to the elementary school named after him to finish up Kindergarten after we moved to Florida. There really were not that many people in attendance at the service and it made several people ask whether or not it is realistic to expect that droves of people would come out for a 96-year-old's funeral, no matter how famous or important he had been in the community at one time. I believe when someone lives that long, they outlive their fame and pretty much everyone they ever knew. All in all, it was a nice service. One of our local new anchors came and sang. She is quite the pageant type and sings all those old Sandi Patty hymn arrangements that change keys seventeen times. Fun. She is really nice and it was good to get to know her a little better.

Friday, I spent most of the day at the community college as normal. We had the longest recital on record that day with like 17 selections. Ho hum. I had a few of my students on the program and they did okay. Nothing spectacular though. Although, there was this one young woman who sang a musical theater song which included the word "nipples." I do not think I have ever heard a song with that word in it. It was a big hit with the college crowd. I am starting to notice that some of my students that I thought may in fact be hopeless are coming around. I am trying to be patient with them and not spill my guts that I think they stink musically and have no chance on this or any other earth of being successful in the field of music. Oh well, it is the life of a community college adjunct professor.

Friday night it started to rain and it really did not stop until Sunday. So, no fun for us on Saturday. No return to the miniature golf course or anything else for that matter. I read mostly. I picked up this book called Darkly Dreaming Dexter about a lovable serial killer. I had watched the television show based on the book and decided to read it. I like the TV show better because the characters are much rounder than in the book. Oh well, it was worth the read.

Sunday was one of the same old same with one major exception--I was almost alone at our 9:30 service because most of my worship team was out or sick. This is never fun and I am afraid I will have a repeat performance next week because this week is finally Spring Break here in Bay County. I am looking forward to not having to teach any of my voice students this week and not having to take my children to preschool. Mommy is home all week. We are planning a little excursion to the World of Walt this Friday. We still have a day left on our tickets from October so we need to go or we will lose it. We are planning to go early enough and have some real Mexican food for a change.

One last bit of news: I started working with the children's music program tonight. That was interesting. I do not consider myself a kid person, though I have three children who live with me. But it went well. There were not that many tonight because of Spring Break, but they paid attention and were interactive in a good way. We sang fun songs and everyone seemed to have a good time. I think this will be a good experience for me. Since I have never done any children's ministry whatsoever (with the exception of the occasional Vacation Bible School) it will be a good opportunity to learn to communicate better with the littlest treasures of the church. I just hope I don't have to bury any treasure before I'm done.

No comments: