Friday, April 25, 2008

Failure to Love

This has been one of the most hectic I have had since before Easter. It seems like I have had something significant to do all day every day and every night as well. We had a dinner for new or prospective church members Monday night. I had my regular rehearsals Tuesday night. Wednesday is always full. Thursday evening, besides being Misty's birthday, the handbell choir played for our older adult monthly get-together. And tonight I have a wedding rehearsal and a twirling recital to attend. Tomorrow is the school spring carnival and I have a wedding tomorrow night. At least I am almost finished with my teaching for the semester. I just have to turn in final grades next week and I will be done for the Spring. This Sunday will be a less stressful one in some ways because our youth worship team will be leading at the 9:30 service and our older ladies choral group will be singing at the other services, so I will be able to just enjoy the services this Sunday. Granted, I will likely be more on edge this Sunday because I am not in control of everything that is going on. Sad.

I sang for a funeral on Tuesday afternoon for a man who died a sinner. The pastor didn't mince any words. It was short and compassionate, but truthful. I don't want to do that again anytime soon. It was a whole lot of misery.

I came to the stunning realization that my grandmother is old now. Granted, I knew she would turn 87 this May, but she has always seemed much younger than her age. Well, she fell through the bleachers at an athletic event this past week. She did not really do much damage to herself, but I guess she passed out.

I saw something stupid this week. We have these "exempt" train tracks that cross a street that I drive on most every day. They are exempt because they are impassable. There is so much overgrowth and I believe the tracks end only a few yards from the street. Every time a school bus passes theses tracks it stops. I know the law, but it is silly to stop at train tracks when there is no way possible for a train to be even in the vicinity of these useless tracks.

I don't know if you are familiar with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She is a former Muslim who is a member of the Dutch Parliament and has had death threats from radical Islamists due to her anti-Islamic film about female circumcision. Last week I heard her say something to this effect: "Religion can be good. But one should never use religion to take away the rights of others." Her comments reminded me of something I read not too long ago and cannot remember where. It went something like this: "The church's greatest sin may be its failure to love." When we fail to love, we knowingly and unknowingly allow our rights to supersede the rights of others. When we fail to love, we miss out on opportunities to be Christ to our homes, our communities, our world. When we fail to love, we miss the entire point of the Gospel. "He who does not love, does not know God, for God is love." (I John 4:8)

I am still working this one out. I have had several opportunities thrust upon me this week to love the unlovable or to counsel with those who need a listening ear or to hold out hope that someone will surprise me by doing the right thing without being prodded to do so. So, on top of all the administrative things I did this week, I am exhausted from giving of myself in a more personal way. And, sadly, this has meant I have had less to give to my family this week. I hope to be able to balance this better in the coming weeks.

No comments: