Sunday, March 02, 2008

Longest Weekend Ever


Okay, so this has to have been the longest weekend ever. You know, it started with the Friday night funeral. I could not sleep at all Friday night, so I sat up and watched stupidness on television. I slept late Saturday morning and then we went and looked for a new kitchen table. We have been planning to buy one for years and never have. So, finally, we bought a round table with five chairs. Then Saturday evening I had the first of two concerts with the Pro Arte Chorale. The performance went fine and I enjoyed getting to sing some new music. Only a couple of spots were a little weak. But there was one section where I think I was the only one singing. I wanted to stop and ask where everyone else was. I refrained.

Sunday is always long, with three services as usual. Immediately after church, I changed into my tuxedo and drove to Santa Rosa Beach for the second concert. I was listening to the Faure' Requiem really loud and did not hear my telephone buzz. When I was done listening, I discovered I had received two calls, one from one of my church choir members (who is also in the Chorale) and the other from the director of the Chorale. As it turned out, one of the members of a small ensemble (SSAATB) had become ill since the last performance and they wanted me to substitute for the tenor. Again, all of this music was new to me. So, with about 30 minutes of practice, I sang four songs with this little ensemble, three madrigals and a Renaissance song in German. Funner than fun.

I have never thought of myself as an exceptional sightreader, but I guess I am better than I thought I was. So, for a week when I was being extra hard on myself, I guess God gave me a moment of clarity that helped me realize that I am giving enough of myself to what I do. And, I am continuing to work on my issues with spontaneity and being willing to just go for it. I usually do not have a problem being spontaneous on my own, I just don't love it when it is thrust upon me. Oh well, it is a work in progress.

So, after the concert, I drove back to church so that I could make an appearance, hear the student praise band, and have dinner with the family. This concludes my 13-hour work day. So much for no work on the sabbath.

No comments: