Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter Monday


Today is one of those days I dread and love all at the same time. I am glad to have a day off after the craziness of Holy Week, but there is always that emotional let down after the big event. I think this past week went very well and the people who came to our services received something spiritually moving. Our Good Friday service, that worried me to no end, turned out very nice and was likely the best service we have done since I have been at FUMC Panama City. Sadly, there was not a large group to witness this service. Over the past two years, we have done a big choir presentation for Good Friday and the place was packed. Part of me is pleased to know that when our choir presents something, the congregation knows it will be worth attending. The other part of me is mortified by the possibility that some of us only come when we know what we are getting into, culturally or spiritually or otherwise.
Easter Sunday is always nice with the exception of having to be up at the crack of black to get ready for the sunrise service. And we usually see the sunrise or at least the effects of the sun's rising. I had the great joy of having some assistance this year, more than ever before. Our youth pastor, Carl and one of our sound techs, Jonathan, gathered all of the equipment for me so I did not have to worry about it. And, even more amazing, when I reached the park at about 4:50 or so, they were already there setting up. Amazing.
So, after a week of eleven services, I am glad that Holy Week is over for this year and will not be so early again for a while. I have already begun to plan out Christmas and July 4th and I have an idea about next Easter too. So, no rest for the wicked.
One last thought: I read a little more in the book of Mother Teresa's letters and, in her discussion of her calling to start her new mission, she was impressed by the words of Jesus on the cross: "I thirst." She believed that God was telling her that he thirsts for people to be in relationship with him. While instructing her sisters, she would explain:
"I thirst," Jesus said on the cross when Jesus was deprived of every consolation, dying in absolute Poverty, left alone, despised and broken in body and soul. He spoke of His thirst--not for water--but for love, for sacrifice.

Jesus is God: therefore, His love, His thirst is infinite. Our aim is to quench this infinite thirst of a God made man. Just like the adoring angels in Heaven ceaselessly sing the praises of God, so the Sisters, using the four vows of Absolute Poverty, Chastity, Obedience and Charity towards the poor ceaselessly quench the thirsting God by their love and of the love of the souls they bring to Him.
Imagine what it would take from all of us to quench the infinite thirst of a God made man. Where do we begin?
PS: Here is a picture of my pretties on Easter Sunday morning out in front of the church. There were so many Easter lilies, I thought I would die. But, amazingly, I did not suffer any cruel effects. God must have given me a little favor after all.

No comments: