Monday, February 18, 2008

RE: Publicans

How difficult is it for someone who is an encultured evangelical Christian from birth to truly feel a part of this world? I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Evangelicals are taught from the earliest stages of life to come out and be separate from the world. "Don't even do anything that the world might consider fun." How then do we enter a world that we have never really been a part of? For all the talk of the emergent/missional church, and all the literature that is written directed toward making the church more accessible to nonchurched individuals, how does someone like me inact these things in my own life and in the church? No matter how much I try to lose the stereotypical "Christian" look, I still come across as a minister to most people. My only saving grace on this front is that I have this gift that makes people tell me everything about them. It is a real conversation starter.

We talked about Pharisees in church on Sunday because we were looking at John 3. Nicodemus was a Pharisee who came to Jesus by night and you know the rest of the story. I was thinking the whole time: "If Jesus came to us today and told us to do things a different way, we would probably look at him the way Nicodemus looked at Jesus back then. The "are you kidding me? We have always done things this way" mentality.

I find myself in this camp often and I hate to admit it. As much as I talk about change, I loathe it just as much. I am constantly in search of calm, but I rarely get to hold onto it for long. Although, right now, for the first time in some time, I feel an odd sense of settledness. I guess I am really a Pharisee when it comes right down to it. I want Jesus to work within my own religious framework. It seems to work for me. Why can't it work for Jesus?

I am reminded of the parable in Luke 18 about the publican and the Pharisee. I like the word "publican." It sounds so much better than just a "sinner" or tax collector. What was his story? His prayer? "Have mercy on me, a sinner." The Pharisee was just thankful he was not like the publican and started to count the ways they were different. And these areas were all good, religious things that we should do. But whose prayer was heard? Jesus said the publican went home justified before God. "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Isn't this the crux of Jesus' teaching? He came to raise up those who had no voice and to call into question those who think they have it right. What does this mean for those of us in vocational ministry?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other news: No significant news to report on the home front. We continue to battle the allergens. I am fine until I get up to sing and then I cannot stop the coughing. I am hopeful that I will be better soon since I refuse to go to the doctor. I have been asked to sing in one of the semi-professional chorales. I want to help out, but my illness is keeping me from committing fully. Today is one of those days that I hate--a holiday without presents and no mail on top of that. I hate not getting the mail. I may have to go buy a magazine and put it in the mailbox. I worry myself sometimes.

Peace

1 comment:

Tim said...

First, I hate people with that gift because I’m always the guy who tells them way too much. Apparently I have no tolerance to even a second of quiet because the minute those people just sit there, staring at me, I immediately begin to divulge information that I always regret later. So quit it!

That said, I have the gift of never being recognized as a minister. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but people are always surprised to find out I’m ordained and have been serving in the ministry for X amount of years. In fact, I have a Bible that I received at my ordination service. For some reason the church decided that it would be a good idea to have Reverend Timothy Miller printed on it. Every once in a while somebody stumbles onto it and freaks out. It’s great. I have to admit that I’m really glad that people don’t assume that I’m a “minister”. It keeps a lot of doors open.

As for what the story of the Pharisee and the publican means for those in vocational ministry, I guess that depends on whether or not you think you’ve got it all figured out…which, come to think of it, I do. So I guess I’m doomed!

As for sickness, the National Health Service (hello socialized medicine!) diagnosed me with laryngitis brought about by acid reflux this week. Awesome. It’s fun. You can’t speak up and you certainly can’t sing. You should try it sometime. I’m now taking some weird capsule as well as steroids for my nose. Guess my hope of trying out for this year’s Olympics is out! Another four years down the drain!