Saturday, November 24, 2007

Calm Before the Storm




Well, this has been a quirky Thanksgiving week and I am taking a deep breath before the Advent season begins next week. I know everything will work out well, all of the musical programs and special services, but I am still anxious about how these things will work out. Since Madeline has been sick most of this week, we have not been able to get out of the house very much. My feelings of stir craziness may have compounded my feelings of anxiety about life beginning again, but we will see. We did brave the outside yesterday for a couple of hours to shop a little and have dinner, but it was unusually quiet for a "black" Friday. Today we put up the Christmas tree. It was Madeline's first time to really help put ornaments on the tree and that was fun. Those girls are all to cute and very enthusiastic about the upcoming holiday festivities and our pilgrimage back to Texas.


I am continually amazed by the wonders of technology and how, no matter where you hide, people find you. I had one of these experiences this week. An old friend, who I have not personally spoken to in many years, found me on Facebook. I almost literally had to pick my jaw up off the floor when I saw this name attached to a message. We got caught up as much as you can in a short space. I mean, what do you say to someone you did know well, but have not known in many years? What do you consider highlights of a twelve year period that are worth discussing? It was interesting.


What surprised me most was the fact that God used this person to speak to me--someone I had not spoken to in almost 12 years. I wrote in my last post how I really needed to have some encouragement, not always be the encourager, and God reminded me that He does send encouragers to me in ways I do not expect. Within this conversation, it became apparent that God was showing me that my life is pretty darn good, despite the aggravations I have. I worry about money. I miss my family, especially at this time of the year. And I get frustrated that I no longer have some of the conveniences that I grew accustomed to while living near a major city. These are not illegitimate concerns, but they are so minuscule in comparison to the good that has come of our new life.


I am sure that there are still growing pains that we have to live through, but I trust that we will be able to meet these challenges just as God has walked us through these last couple of years. It is still hard to believe that it has only been two years since our little Madeline was born the Sunday after Thanksgiving 2005 and we did not know then where we would be the next Thanksgiving. But looking back on these past two years, though much of it is a blur, it still seems like one of the easiest things we ever did. I guess this is one of the reasons why I become puzzled when people talk about my faith or my life seeming so perfect. I don't think I have it together and I do not think I will ever have enough faith. I think the point is God uses us, in spite of our inconsistencies or idiosyncrasies. And He reminds us all the time of how thankful we should be, if we are alert enough to hear Him speak and see Him at work in our lives.
Thank you God for reminding me that you are the good Shepherd and if I am a good sheep I will recognize your voice.

No comments: