Saturday, September 01, 2007

We Would Like to See Jesus

Here is my last article for my local church newsletter:

As the school year begins, I begin to anticipate things to come later in the fall—the Advent and Christmas season in particular. I look forward to this time each year as another opportunity to get to ponder anew how Jesus came into the world and what his life has meant to countless generations over these last 2000 years. I wonder what it was like for those early disciples to learn from Jesus personally. I wonder what it must have been like for those people who just wanted to get close to him—maybe because they thought he would heal them or that just being in his presence, all would be well in their lives. I am reminded of a passage in the Gospel of John in which some Greeks came looking for Jesus during the last Passover he spent with his disciples before being crucified:

Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the Feast. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. "Sir," they said, "we would like to see Jesus." Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus. Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. (John 12:20-26)

“Sir, we would like to see Jesus.” What profound wisdom we can find in these simple words. We do not know what they wanted from Jesus or if they had met him before. They just wanted to see him. I am convinced that if we can come to our worship services expecting to see Jesus we will not leave disappointed. We will, in fact, see him. Though Christ is speaking of his death in this passage, I see some significant parallels to the life of faith that all believers need to know. If we give ourselves wholly to Christ’s mission, sacrificing ourselves, we will produce much fruit. I want to be one of those whom the Father honors. I want to be one of those who follow him; one who is not afraid to serve.

My prayer for you is that we become newly aware of our place in this ministry at First United Methodist Church and, in turn, our place in the body of Christ universal. My hope is that we can each come expecting Jesus each time we enter the sanctuary. Imagine what can happen when we all come in expectation and in anticipation of his presence. The early apostles changed the world. What will we be able to do?

No comments: