Saturday, May 19, 2007

Agreeing to Disagree

I have been thinking a lot lately about whether or not Christians can disagree with each other and remain united in Christ. I found in my former life that as often as not, if someone did not agree with our stance on a certain issue, we would consider that an attack of the Enemy, rather than an intellectual disagreement or a point of departure for further consideration. Life was a lot easier when I did not have to think.

All of these feelings have come flooding back to me since the passing of Jerry Falwell earlier this week. I made a comment about how I thought Rev. Falwell was a sincere man and loved the Lord, but I don't think he loved many others. The conversation went something like, "Well, what did he say that you disagreed with?" And my response was something to the effect that I did not think that the 9/11 Attack was a result of feminists, gays and lesbians, atheists, etc. The comment that came back was, well, you know, there is a nugget of truth in this. And I said "how do you figure" and was told that since our nation was sinful, or allowed sin to thrive, this meant that God's covering could only last so long and that we could not expect to just go along living like we do or we will be punished. My response to this was that I do not believe God acts that way, and I really don't think most Christians believe that God allows things like this to happen to show us the error of our ways.

Or do we believe this? I mean, I thought we were living in an age of grace and that God gives us the freedom to accept Him or reject Him. I just do not believe I have the right to judge these things since I am a sinner too. As the conversation progressed I asked how God could allow innocent people to be killed because of what other people had done (if, in fact, God allowed this as punishment for gay people in America). The answer was that we really should not get up and say these things since there is no way to prove them one way or the other. Really.

OK, so back to my original question: Is it possible for Christians to take radically opposing views of things like God's judgment, or homosexuality, or the poor, or global warming, or the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, or insert issue . . . and remain brothers and sisters in Christ? In my previous life, the answer would have been an unqualified "No" because anyone who does not follow our interpretation of the Bible is not even a Christian. They are a part of the problem, the secularization of American society. But now, on the other side of the aisle, I have begun to wonder just how Christian it is to judge someone else's faith journey based on my narrow interpretations of what I think God meant in the Bible.

Oh how I wish I could go back to happier, more judgmental times when everything was black and white and everyone else was a sinner except for everyone who believed exactly like me. But, how pleasing is that to God? What would Jesus think?

And, by the way: Tinky Winky is a flamer!

1 comment:

Tim said...

: ) You are the first my friend. The first to mention the passing of Jerry Fallwell. Even I have not yet brought it up.

I’ve always found interesting our illusion, as American Christians, that our country was, in fact, founded on Christianity, by Christians. After all, our country was born through the near extermination of one race, reared on the enslavement of another, and enriched through the rape of one of the finest environments on the planet. Call me crazy, but that seems far from Christ like and nothing like the sort of Christianity I hope I claim today.

As per how and/or if we as Christians can agree to disagree, I believe we can. In fact, I’ve seen it done. If there has been anything about life in Europe that I have had the hardest time adapting to culturally, it is European’s understanding of how to discuss/argue politics and, indeed religion, and leave as friends. Something that, like you, I had never really experienced before. It has been an amazing lesson for me. Something I had always wanted but, when confronted with, found myself extremely distrustful of at first. I had a hard time believing that I could express my political or theological views and still end the evening as Christian brothers and sisters. Since that time I have begun to discover Americans Christians, here and there (yourself included), who long for that as well and who, most often, go to the internet in search of it. I’ve learned so much through these conversations. My politics and theology have been reshaped, and then reshaped again. I’ve been challenged and my faith has grown more rapidly than it ever has.

Having said that, there are days that I too long for the easy answers. “The Bible said it, I believe it, that settles it!” (the insinuation here is the follow up thought; “and I have no time for your thoughts/possible translation on the matter!”)