Sunday, June 08, 2008

All is Relative

Well, it has been several days since I was inspired enough to write something down.

This week was absolutely crazy at church. We had vacation Bible school, which was fine. It just meant that I was not able to accomplish much during the mornings and then, when I was able to work, I had to watch my children. So, not as much accomplished as I would like. And, our ministers were out and about this past week, so the rest of us kind of had to keep things afloat.

My handbell choir performed today at two of the services. I enjoy having them play but it is a lot of work to get ready for a performance. This week was worse. Because of VBS, I had to set up and tear down the bells and tables 3 times. Not fun. Wednesday night we had this picnic on the lawn and the worship team played some songs while Choir practice was going on, Misty was out of town so I was in charge of the children, and I had to get the choir and handbells together because the bells were accompanying the choir Sunday. It was a little bit of a disaster, but eventually we got it together. Today, the performance went fine. We played three songs, the last of which with the Choir and all in all things were good. It was our last hurrah for the season.

I realized today that if I did not know I needed a vacation, I do now. So, we will leave for central Florida this next weekend and I intend to be gone as long as possible, which, turns out to be a week. I have already got everything ready for the Sunday I am gone and for the one on which I return, so I don't have to worry about anything for a while.

Tuesday, I get to visit with the conference counselor to continue in the ordination process. Because I am nervous about it, I am planning to go up to Prattville, Alabama, just north of Montgomery tomorrow evening so I can have some time to settle down before my appointment at 10:00 Tuesday morning. I do not think this will be an ordeal, but I over-analyze everything and so I really could stand to have a calm night before the inquisition. Pray that they do not immediately admit me to an institution. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my children, but I have been with them almost 24-7 for the last three weeks and they are driving me bonkers. It will do me some good to have one night away. Misty has gotten a couple of nights away over the last few months, so it is my turn. I am planning to take a book and read in quiet. It will be a nice respite before my vacation with the children. The following week, Misty and the girls will go back to Texas for about two weeks. Then my real vacation will begin. Of course, after a day or so I will really miss them, but absence does make the heart grow fonder.

In other news ~ Obama is the Democratic candidate. I have never heard so many folks tell me they are afraid of him. Hard to tell if this is just political or if it has a little bit of a racial tinge to it. Thoughts?

The gay Episcopalian bishop of New Hampshire, Rev. V. Gene Robinson got married yesterday. Well, it was a civil union, which is legal in New Hampshire. Where does one register for a gay wedding?

I have been reading this book Head and Heart: American Christianities by Garry Wills. The book discusses the different facets of Christianities in American history and how different groups helped shape national trends in Christianity. There is a long discussion on the separation of church and state, the Great Awakenings, and slavery and other issues that divided the church regionally. I wonder, how much of our reading of the Scriptures or our understanding of God is based on the time in which we live and how others around us view them? I like to think of myself as a liberal kind of guy, open to ideas. But I wonder what side of some the very divisive issues in American church history I would have come down on had I been there to come up with an unbiased decision. Is my understanding and compassion towards certain hot topic issues completely biased by the fact that I live in the 21st century? Would I be so open-minded if I lived 100 years ago?

There is a song by Gavin DeGraw called "Relative." Most of it is not really appropriate to discuss on this blog, no matter how true it might be. But the chorus goes something like this:

And all is relative, relative
Everything is relative, yes it is
It's all about the way we receive it
How much we believe it
Depending on the life you lead, if you lead it
Compare it to yourself
Compared to someone else, you care
And if you pick the threads in your closet, the cash in your wallet
The color of the skin in your blood, and how you got it
Compare it to yourself
Compared to someone else, you care

I remember back in high school we talked about relativism as this great evil, and maybe it is. But I wonder how many of our beliefs are based on a certain relativism? These could be things we believe in or things we stand against, but how does the time in which we live effect our understandings of these beliefs? Maybe I am grasping at straws here, and maybe I am just tired and cannot quite communicate my feelings, but there was a time when people in the north and south were able to biblically support the institution of slavery and I do not think there is a person alive today who thinks slavery is a good thing. Truth is, it has not been that long ago that people of color were not welcomed in the church where I work, but, thankfully, that is not the case today at all. Or take something ridiculous by comparison: There was a time when a person would have been asked to leave a church if they were not dressed appropriately. In most circles, this is considered ludicrous now, but it was a deal breaker back in the day. Will there come a day when some of our hotbed issues, like homosexuality or insert other issue here, are viewed in the same manner?

Well, I seek your prayers as I begin this next round of the "process." God help me.

Do you need a passport to go to Alabama?

No comments: