Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back from the Happiest Place on Earth










Well, we had a great weekend at Walt Disney World. I will post most of our pictures on my Facebook at some point in the near future. October is a wonderful time to go to Disney. We never had to wait for rides very long and the girls, on the whole, enjoyed themselves and being with each other. Mad did not particularly care for the characters. She was a little traumatized by Tigger and Piglet at Epcot and it did not get any better with the princesses. That was fun for us. We spent Saturday at Epcot with all the folks who came for the International Wine and Food Festival. Let me tell you, we started in "Mexico" and ate there, but by the time we made it all the way around the World Showcase, there were a lot of drunk people. I was afraid my girls would learn some new sign language and some colorful turns of phrase while we rested in "Canada." They also had an exhibit honoring the 100th anniversary of Oklahoma's statehood. Sunday we went to the Magic Kingdom and it was the perfect day to go. The girls were in Disney heaven.
I can say that all in all it was a success because I did not think about work or take anything to plan while I was away. Then, of course, Monday came and we had to come back. I think I want to go to work for Disney. Well, maybe I do. I can only imagine what it is like to be pleasant to all of the people who come to Disney during the year. Kinda like working for the church, except with funny costumes and a kind word for everyone. Wait, it is just like working in the church.



And speaking of people, even though it was a small crowd, there are always interesting folks to see. It is amazing the cross section of society that comes to Disney. For instance, you have some very pretty people and then some really unfortunate folks. And some nerds that wear the silly Mouseketeer ears or worse, the Fantasia sorcerer's hats. I wanted to tell these poor, unfortunate souls something ironic and witty, but realized I was there too and did not have firm footing. Although, I never did put on ears. I always hear a lot of languages at Disney and that is fun. It seems like a lot of British folks come to WDW as well. I wonder what these folks from abroad think of all the Americanisms at Disney. I mean, the Hall of Presidents at the Magic Kingdom and the American Experience at Epcot. Of course, it is propaganda, but propaganda that we like about ourselves and how wonderful we are. I just wonder how others view it.

Well, everything is back to normal now, but I realize that I need to vacation more often than I do. If I knew it in my head before, I know it in my heart now. I can only give so much before there is nothing left to give. And that is not good for me, or my family, or for the church. Even a short vacation gave me something to look forward to last week and has given me enough zeal to make it through to Christmas (I hope).

No comments: